About Chiropractic Therapy in Greenville, SC
Learn more about the comprehensive chiropractic services available at our office
Chiropractic work has been a driving force in keeping me as strong and healthy as when I was 18! Just like cars and houses require regular upkeep, so does the body! David Close, engineer and martial arts instructor: judo & Brazilian jiu-jitsu
I avoided surgery. The key is to be persistent. Jason Shenton
Definitions of Chiropractic
"Chiropractic" is defined as that science and art which utilizes the inherent recuperative powers of the body and deals with the relationship between the nervous system and the spinal column, including its immediate articulations and the role of this relationship in the restoration and maintenance of health.
South Carolina Code of Laws SECTION 40-9-10 (a)
A health profession concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of mechanical disorders of the musculoskeletal system, and the effects of these disorders on the function of the nervous system and general health. There is an emphasis on manual treatments including spinal adjustment and other joint and soft-tissue manipulation.
WFC Dictionary Definition, World Federation of Chiropractic, 2001
A health care profession concerned with the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disorders of the neuromusculoskeletal system and the effects of these disorders on general health. There is an emphasis on manual techniques, including joint adjustment and/or manipulation with a particular focus on subluxations.
The WHO definition, World Health Organization, Guidelines on Chiropractic, 2005
Chiropractic is a health care profession that focuses on disorders of the musculoskeletal system and the nervous system, and the effects of these disorders on general health. Chiropractic care is used most often to treat neuromusculoskeletal complaints, including but not limited to back pain, neck pain, pain in the joints of the arms or legs, and headaches.
Doctors of Chiropractic, often referred to as chiropractors or chiropractic physicians, practice a drug-free, hands-on approach to health care that includes patient examination, diagnosis and treatment. Chiropractors have broad diagnostic skills and are also trained to recommend therapeutic and rehabilitative exercises, as well as to provide nutritional, dietary and lifestyle counseling.
American Chiropractic Association
Key Facts about the Chiropractic Profession, American Chiropractic Association
- 100% of NFL teams have a team chiropractor
- The U.S. Olympic Team is under the care of doctors of chiropractic
- Spinal manipulation (the primary treatment provided by chiropractors)for acute low back pain has been shown to equivalent or superior when compared to medication, physical modalities, education and exercise over the short, intermediate, and long term. (Dagenais et al)
- Chiropractic reduces the need for back surgery
- Care provided by chiropractic physicians reduces healthcare costs
- Chiropractic care for neck and back pain has been rated higher in patient satisfaction than medcial care
- Chiropractic treatment gets injured workers back to work quicker
- Chiropractic has been a licensed health profession in South Carolina since 1932
- The South Carolina Attorney General opined that chiropractic constitutes the limited practice of medicine
- The governor of South Carolina has made October "Spinal Health Month" in recognition of the contribution of doctors of chiropractic to public health
- Doctors of chiropractic are recognized by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, the Joint Commission and the Department of Veterans Affairs
- Services provided by chiropractic physicians are covered by the vast majority of insurance plans
- National Board of Chiropractic Examiners (NBCE) www.NBCE.org. Accessed March 2015.
- South Carolina Chiropractic Association (SCCA) www.scchiropractic.org. Accessed March 2015.
- Weigel PA, Hockenberry JM, Wolinsky FD. Chiropractic use in the medicare population: prevalence, patterns, and associations with 1-year changes in health and satisfaction with care. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2014 Oct;37(8):542-51. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.08.003. Epub 2014 Sep 16.
- Leininger BD1, Evans R2, Bronfort G3. Exploring patient satisfaction: a secondary analysis of a randomized clinical trial of spinal manipulation, home exercise, and medication for acute and subacute neck pain. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2014 Oct;37(8):593-601. doi: 10.1016/j.jmpt.2014.08.005. Epub 2014 Sep 8.
- Dagenais S1, Gay RE, Tricco AC, Freeman MD, Mayer JM. Spine J. NASS Contemporary Concepts in Spine Care: spinal manipulation therapy for acute low back pain. 2010 Oct;10(10):918-40. doi: 10.1016/j.spinee.2010.07.389.